Many of you are already aware about the health benefits of regular yoga practice. Some people do it as a remedy for health issues such as reducing weight, controlling stress, managing heart problems, or alleviating pains in certain body parts. Whereas some people do it to stay fit, to live disease free, happy, and healthy lifestyle.
In the same way, if we make our kids do yoga, they will also gain numerous benefits of yoga and that to from their childhood itself. Regular yoga practice or we can say yogic lifestyle will give them long-lasting health benefits for the entire life.
When the life is becoming more and more stressful for school going kids due to school pressures, busy parents, video games, malling or competitive sports, yoga will give them a power to face life’s challenges quite easily. It is been recommended that kids can perform yoga from the age of five and above.
How Yoga benefits to kids?
- With yoga, kids learn techniques of relaxation, self-health, and inner fulfilment.
- It develops awareness of mind, body, and breath.
- Yoga promotes self-esteem with a physical activity that is non-competitive.
- It boosts flexibility, strength, coordination, and body awareness in children.
- Improvement in their concentration and sense of calmness and relaxation.
- Yoga helps to bump up imagination and creativity in kids.
- Boosts energy levels and provides deep relaxation while relieving mental and physical fatigue.
- Yoga helps conquer negative emotions like jealousy, fear and anger.
- Decreases obsession with TV, smartphones, and other electronic devices.
- Meditation and breathing exercises improve lung capacity as well as help them deal with fluctuating emotions.
- More importantly, yoga also encourages healthy food habits by keeping away junk food addiction.
When kids are doing yoga, they get to exercise, play, and connect more deeply with the inner self, which aids in developing an intimate relationship with the natural world that surrounds them.
Ways to introduce kids to yoga:
Yoga for children is somewhat different than yoga for adults and that’s why you must know the ways to get your kids into yoga.
- First important thing is you have to be a great example for them. That means, if you do yoga in front of or around them, they will certainly try to mimic you. Go with the poses which will be kind of fun for them, e.g. tree pose or downward-facing dog. Remember to not to force kids for doing yoga as it may have opposite effect. Play a role of a facilitator rather than a teacher for kids.
- Secondly, try to develop or maintain a sense of curiosity by letting them ask and answer their own questions so that they think for themselves. When there comes two different answers from two different kids, they will accept that there is more than one way to do or consider things. This makes them open-minded, empowered and also encourages more harmonious relationships with siblings and classmates.
- Parents should not enforce their own beliefs on kids and they should have healthy interaction with kids. If you communicate with kids by attaching your own agenda, they feel pressurised. So, allow them to find themselves and discover the world around them. Provide them with a loving, receptive, and creative environment to unearth their own truths.
What are the yoga poses that should be performed by kids?
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand pose): This pose nourishes the brain by improving blood flow. It also strengthens arms and legs while increasing spine flexibility.
- Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose): It improves stamina and balance in the body.
- Vrikshasana (Tree Pose): This one is the easiest and enjoyable for children. It tones arms and legs, strengthens the back and improves mind-body balance.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): It calms the nervous system and aids in overcoming stage fear. It strengthens the muscles of the back, arms, legs and hips.
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): This pose strengthens back muscles and increases flexibility. It aids in alleviating stress and fatigue.
- Shavasana (Corpse Pose): It refreshes the mind and body. More importantly, it improves concentration and blood circulation which boosts the energy levels.
Besides, Dog pose, Cat stretch, Cobra pose or Bhujangasana gives you more opportunity to engage their minds to deepen their awareness. Kids quickly learn these kid-friendly yoga poses and develop interest into yoga ritual.
You can either make your kids perform yoga at your home or join yoga classes for kids. There are many yoga academies that offer Kid’s yoga classes. Chaitanya Wellness Yoga Academy is one of the renowned yoga academies in Bangalore which offers best in class yoga training to adults and kids.
Introducing your kids to yoga at an early age can assist them learn healthy lifestyle habits and set the base for a fit future. So, get your kids into yoga and raise a happy child!